Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ground Beef - for several meal!



{{I love these ideas from Chelsea!}}


I'm not all that organized when it comes to preparing meals for my family, but one thing i am good at is hamburger. I will buy the biggest package of ground beef at the store, and then at home I separate it something like this:

*two quart-sized freezer bags with plain meat (about 1 lb each bag, or a serving for your fam)
to make ground meat for tacos etc.
*put the rest in a large bowl
add about 1 egg for every two pounds of meat, oatmeal- about 1/2 cup per lb, garlic salt and pepper (i estimate all these additives, i never measure anything).
I make this into hamburger patties.
*Just portion out how much meat for each, flatten into patties, put in a gallon size freezer bag (i like to do four to one layer, use wax paper in between layers if your making a lot. Put enough for one meal in each bag. Make a couple bags at a time if you want)


* add crackers or crushed croutons to the meat thats left, usually some more seasoning, and make either meatballs or a meatloaf.


For Meatballs:
*Add italian seasoning, more garlic powder, and onion salt
*Then portion the meat, roll into balls and place in a freezer bag, whatever size will be enough for your fam.


For Meatloaf:
*Add garlic powder and onion salt
*Put right into a pan that can go from the freezer to the oven.
Use plastic wrap and press it right onto the meat, then cover with foil. (Don't forget to remove the plastic before baking!)


So now I have meat servings for several meals ready to pull out of the freezer and cook. All of these things can be cooked from frozen, it may take a little more time, but i rarely thaw (mostly because I forget) anything.

1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing. Sometime I even pre cook the meat and then freeze it! Saves a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete